The Burt Reynolds Scholarship Award
Mr. Reynolds was an avid supporter of The Palm Beaches Student Showcase of Films (SSOF) and a mentor to up-and-coming talent. Each year, Palm Beach County high school seniors involved in a film program can apply for the scholarship bearing his name. The SSOF continues to honor excellence in filmmaking by providing scholarships to deserving students. The Sara Fuller Scholarship, sponsored by Film Florida, and the Mel Maron Scholarship are awarded to the runners up of the competition.
Open to Palm Beach County High School Seniors
(Sara Fuller Scholarship - $1,000 Award)
(Mel Maron Scholarship - $1,000 Award)
Funds awarded in the student's name
Complete the online application and accept/agree to all terms/conditions including required signatures and your student ID and upload documents through the website.
Compile the following supporting documents and upload them.
These documents are assigned a point value toward your overall score
- A self-authored letter to the Burt Reynolds Scholarship Committee addressing the following:
- Why you would like to be considered, including long-term goals as they relate to the film, digital media & television industry.
- Your financial need for scholarship funds.
- Plans for college. Include any schools you have applied to.
- Demonstration of knowledge of Mr. Reynolds legacy.
- A letter of recommendation from your film, digital media or television instructor. The letter must include the following:
- Applicants GPA, community service hours and anything else that may set you apart from other applicants.
- If applicable, your letter of acceptance to a college (s).
- Demo reel (a sampling of your film work) uploaded to Film Freeway
- Demo reel should not exceed five minutes.
- Include lower thirds to identify your role in each clip throughout the reel (i.e. Director, Writer, Actor, Production Designer, etc.).
- Please do not use a music bed under your demo reel.
Applicants are scored based upon their ability to follow instructions and provide the criteria outlined.
Finalist Interview Process:
- If selected as a finalist, you will be notified by the Palm Beach County Film & Television Commission. The number of finalists can range from 4-7 students.
- Finalists will be invited to interview with the Scholarship Committee at the Jupiter Maltz Theater at a coordinated date and time.
- Runners up in selection will be considered for the $1,000 Sara Fuller or the $1,000 Mel Maron Scholarship Award.